Left unaddressed, mould poses significant problems for homeowners and tenants, such as:
Mould exposure can result in various health issues, including:
- Respiratory problems
- Skin irritations
- Inflammatory immune responses
- Fatigue and mental health issues
- Prolonged exposure to certain types of mould can lead to severe health problems.
Damage to your home and possessions
Mould can cause damage to building elements such as:
- Infiltrate concealed spaces such as wall cavities and floors.
Mould can also damage personal possessions like furniture and clothing, which can be costly to replace, or upsetting to lose if they have sentimental value.
Failure to address mould issues in a timely manner can result in liability for building owners or tenants, depending on the cause of the problem.
It is crucial to address mould issues promptly to prevent these potential health, structural and financial problems.
What to look for – Signs you have a mould problem.
- A musty odour. Mould can produce an earthy smell, even if not visible
- Discolouration in walls, carpets or flooring
- Water damage
- Health problems. You or your family might be experiencing an increase in asthma, allergies or other unexplained health concerns
- Visible mould growth. You might see patches of mould on the ceiling, windows/window frames, walls or floors
There are many different types of mould.
Some of the common mould types that can cause damage to your health and your home are:
These and many others are known to have health implications.
It’s important to note that all moulds can cause problems if left untreated. If you suspect you might have a mould problem, it’s crucial to address it as quickly as possible. We can help.
Mould Damage Experts
How BSS can help with your mould problem.
Figuring out how to identify and treat your mould problem can feel overwhelming. At BSS we specialise in identifying the source, type and solutions to your mould problem, so you can feel confident in the safety of your home and health now and into the future.
Our service is thorough and practical. Here’s what you can expect:
- Inspect: What sets us apart at BSS is that we don’t only inspect for mould, we determine the root cause. This is a critical step that is often overlooked. Our inspectors are qualified building consultants (VBA registered), experts in determining the building problem causing the mould. We use state-of-the-art equipment and techniques to determine the source of moisture and cause of mould growth.
- Test: Our inspector will take samples for laboratory testing to determine the type of mould present, the corresponding risks and how best to treat it.
- Report: Following our inspection, we will provide a detailed, easy to read report that specifies the type of mould, the problem behind the cause, how to fix it and recommendations for remediation.
- Support: So you have your report. Now what? If required, BSS can provide a scope of works and cost estimates for building repairs or mould remediation. We can also refer you to trusted builders and mould remediation specialists to complete the work.
Fixing your mould problem can feel overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to be. We’re here to help.
A Breath of Fresh Air
“I can’t thank you enough for your services over the last 12 months. You have provided us with support and advice and have helped us through some extremely difficult times. Your calm, pleasant, systematic approach was a breath of fresh air after dealing with a sea of false promises and exhaustive excuses.”
Why choose BSS? For trusted, expert advice.
BSS is an expert building consultancy and engineering firm, providing professional building advice since 1975.
What sets us apart from other mould inspectors? We are not merely testers or remediators. We provide:
Other mould inspectors will focus only on determining the presence of mould. BSS mould technicians are building consultants and experts in diagnosing the underlying cause of the mould problem and how to fix it, permanently.
Where required, our reports can include a scope of works, cost estimates for the remedial work and potential claims, and referral to reputable contractors to undertake the work.
Advice you can trust.
Our reports are comprehensive and impartial. We determine the necessary work for effective mould remediation. We can provide before and after testing to verify whether the work undertaken by a remediator has been effective, so you can feel confident in the end result. We think this is the most reliable method to ensure a permanent fix to your mould issue.
In instances where there is a claim for liability in relation to the mould problem, our expert building consultants can prepare reports suitable for presentation at VCAT or a Court.